Wednesday 21 March 2012

Evaluation Three

Presentational Response to Evaluative Question Two



 


Evaluation Three: Text Format
What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why? 

There are a couple of choices for which institution would be most appropriate to distribute my magazine; I had to think carefully on what characteristics my own media product has and what publisher would be able to potentially increase sales.

Bauer Media is a privately owned publishing group, it is worldwide and offers 300 magazines in 15 different countries, their business is built on influential media brands with millions of personal relationships with engaged readers and listeners. Through research I found many of the media they distributed is mainstream and appeal to a mass audience. This would not be ideal for my magazine as my magazine is aimed at a relatively small target audience so my magazine would not gain interest from the distributor. Also being published in 15 different countries would not be ideal also as my magazine is based in the UK and there would be no point in publishing world wide.

Condé Nast is a worldwide publishing company that is accountable for distributing the world’s most popular lifestyle magazines. I felt already that because it is a worldwide publishing company it would be unsuitable for my magazine as stated before, I have a niche market and would not appeal globally.

The National Magazine Company are responsible for distributing Cosmopolitan, Elle and BAZARR, it is one of the largest diversified media companies. They work within the UK and have a generally balanced appeal to women and men which is something that would appeal to my magazine. However it does not have any other music magazines as they currently distribute a low 22 magazines in the UK. This could work as an advantage to my magazine as it is a niche market and would be better off with an independent distributor. Also being established in the UK would act as an advantage as my magazine is based and targeted at the younger generation of the UK. They would find interest in my magazine as it could generate a high market share as being one of the only music magazines NMC are distributing and its differentiation to the other magazines it would be a unique selling point.

IPC media produces over 60 iconic media brands and they have a core audience of men, mass market women and upmarket women. They distribute magazines such as NME, Marie Claire and Pick Me Up. I felt being a more mainstream distributor with the three core audience focus IPC would not be an ideal distributer for my magazine DubBass. As my audience is aimed more for the younger generation and would not appeal to their core audiences, however this could be an advantage as my magazine would be unique and would increase their audience range. So I believe that IPC media would be a good choice to distribute my magazine, however due to the similar product of NME and being a mainstream distributor I believe that IPC would not be the best choice. 




No comments:

Post a Comment